Have you ever wondered if your Shih Tzu is susceptible to food poisoning? Well, the short answer is yes. If your Shih Tzu easts something with mold, bacteria or another type of toxin, he or she may become ill. Most of the time the symptoms of food poisoning in dogs are mild but serious illness may occur.
Dogs are notorious for eating things that are off limits. There is a reason they came up with the term garbage gut. Most dogs wouldn’t mind fine dining on stale garbage, a dead bird carcass and a host of other off-limit delicacies. Let’s not forget dog food recalls. Often dog food is recalled because of pathogens.
Some of the symptoms of food poisoning in your Shih Tzu include the following:
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of balance
If you think that your Shih Tzu might be a victim of food poisoning, I suggest consulting with your veterinarian right away. If it is after hours, try contacting the poison control center for advice: https://www.aspca.org/. If your pet is sick for less than 24 hours, you can try offering a pet safe electrolyte solution until things calm down as long as your vet is on board. If you’re dealing with a Shih Tzu puppy or your pet isn’t able to keep down electrolytes a visit to urgent care may be necessary. Shih Tzu Puppies and small dogs can dehydrate quickly. Your Shih Tzu may need IV fluids to prevent dehydration.
Also, if you truly suspect that your Shih Tzu is a victim of food poisoning, I recommend that you contact the Food and Drug Administration: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary. There is a form that you can fill out electronically in order to report and investigate food poisoning. If pet owners don’t report food poisoning incidents many more pets may become ill. It is also a good idea to contact the dog food company and let them know of the adverse reaction.
It is important not to confuse food poisoning with the ingestion of a toxic substance. A great deal of human food is highly toxic to dogs. For example, grapes, chocolate, and xylitol are capable of making your Shih Tzu very ill. The great outdoors is another place where your furry friend may nibble on something toxic. Did you know that many leaves and plants are poisonous to your pet? If you will be getting a new puppy soon check out my post on how to safety proof your home in order to avoid toxic food and plant poisoning.
As you probably already know, dogs are curious creatures that have no problem nibbling on just about anything. It is important to observe your pet for serious signs of toxicity if food poisoning is a possibility. Seek medical care right away if your Shih Tzu is lethargic, dehydrated or isn’t improving within 24 hours. Be sure to report incidents of possible food poisoning to the FDA promptly to help ensure that more pets aren’t put in harms way!